Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Jason Altmire Opposes SOPA

A while ago, I contacted my state representatives to oppose SOPA and PIPA (for the senators). One of Pennsylvania's state representatives has informed me he is against SOPA by emailing me this letter.
"Dear Mr. Hall,
Thank you for contacting me with your views on legislation to combat online piracy.  I appreciate hearing from you.
Intellectual property development and protection is an essential driver of America's economy.  Additionally, many entrepreneurs and small businesses rely on the Internet to share those ideas and expose them to a larger market.  However, this innovation is threatened by online piracy and copyright infringement.  Any legislation that Congress considers should protect copyright holders from infringement while encouraging continued innovation.
Unfortunately, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) (H.R. 3261) does not strike the appropriate balance between protecting copyrights and preserving access to the Internet.  I am pleased to inform you that, due in part to advocacy from constituents like you, I oppose  SOPA.  You may also be interested to know that, due to overwhelming opposition, the leadership in the House and Senate has agreed to withdraw its respective bills from further consideration in an effort to address the concerns of the online community.  I am open to working with industry experts on both sides of the issue and with my colleagues in the House to craft more appropriate legislation.
Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.  If I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other matter, please feel free to be in touch.

Sincerely,

Jason Altmire
Member of Congress

Please sign up for my e-newsletter at www.altmire.house.gov."

No comments: